The Ancient Order of Hibernians (AOH) in America was founded May 4th, 1836 at New York's St. James Church to protect the clergy and church property from the "Know Nothings" and their followers. At the same time the vast influx of Irish immigrants fleeing famine issues in Ireland in the late 1840s prompted a growth of various social societies in the USA – the largest of which was, and continues to be, the Ancient Order of Hibernians.
Photo: View west showing façade. (Tod Bryant)
The AOH Division in Stamford is the Gen. Philip Sheridan Division founded in 1894. The building houses their clubrooms including a pub and hall where various events and functions are held. The hall is also available for rentals.
The many AOH Divisions and club facilities located throughout the U.S. provide a continuing bridge with Ireland for those Irish-Americans who are generations removed from their country of origin and are a welcoming place for new Irish Americans. The Order and its individual Divisions sponsor many programs associated with promoting Irish Heritage in areas such as history, art, dance, music and sports. The AOH has also been at the political forefront for issues concerning the Irish, such as Immigration Reform; economic incentives in the U.S. and in Ireland; and a peaceful and just solution to the issues that divide Ireland.
"Stamford, CT, General Phillip Sheridan Division." Ancient Order of Hibernians. http://stamfordaoh.com/
The Stamford AOH is an end-gable building that faces east onto Greyrock Place. It has a typical Greek Revival triangular pediment with a centered semicircular window above a frieze band supported by pilasters at the corners of the facade. There are two pairs of six-over-six, double-hung windows below the frieze band.
The main entrance is centered on the facade and it is protected by a by portico with a gable roof supported by four square Doric columns. The main doorway is a double door with twelve light panels on the upper halves of the doors. It is surmounted by a semicircular window and flanked by pairs of six-over-six double-hung windows.
The building is on the east edge of the densely built central business district of Stamford. There is a four-story apartment building across Greyrock Place to the east, a fifteen-story apartment building to the north, a parking grage to the west and the Stamford Mall is across Broad Street to the south.
Common Name: Hibernians Hall Date(s): 1995 Style(s): Modern Traditional Historic Use: Social Hall Present Use: Social Hall
Exterior visible from public road.
Interior accessible (During events and at other times).
The Irish experience has had a profound impact on Connecticut's past, and its narrative spans all periods of the state's history and touches every one of its eight counties and 169 towns.