St. Peter's Convent, School and Rectory are all associated with St. Peter's Catholic church, which is one block north of them and on the other (east) side of Main Street. They were built to serve St. Peter's predominantly Irish congregation. All three buildings face east and they occupy most of the Main Street frontage of the block between Boughton Street and Wooster Street.
The school was opened in September of 1886 and it was originally staffed entirely by the Sisters of Mercy. It was the first Catholic parochial school in Danbury. The Rectory now houses church offices.
Photo: View northwest of St. Peter's School and Rectory, showing south elevation and façade of both buildings. (Tod Bryant)
Photo: St. Peter's Convent view southeast showing façade and north elevation. (Tod Bryant)
The convent next to the school was built as a residence for the sisters, but it has been converted into an assisted living facility.
Photo: View southeast of St. Peter's Rectory showing façade and north elevation. (Tod Bryant)
"About Us." Saint Peter School, Danbury, CT.
[ view source ]
Devlin, William E. Main Street Historic District. National Register of Historic Places nomination. 1983.
The convent at 88 Main Street Street was built in 1895 in the Renaissance Revival style. It is a three story brick building with brownstone trim, a granite foundation and a hip roof. It has a wooden porch on the south elevation with scrollwork and a round arched arcade.
The school at 98 Main Street was built in 1885 in the Italianate style. The school is a three story, brick building with a granite foundation and coping. It has a flat, composition roof with wide eaves. A bell tower projects from the symmetrical facade. There is a three story addition, built in 1909, on the west elevation.
The rectory was built in 1891 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style designed by architect Walter Stickels. It is a three story brick building with a slate roof, granite foundation and coping. Its façade is dominated by twin octagonal towers united by a massive round arched front entry with balcony above. The towers have modillions in wood and their roofs are slate.
These buildings are in the center of downtown Danbury, and they are surrounded by commercial and civic buildings.
Date(s): 1885, 1891, 1895 Style(s): Renaissance Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Historic Use: Convent, school, rectory Present Use: Multi-family housing, school, offices Architect: Walter Stickels (rectory)
Exterior visible from public road.
The Irish experience has had a profound impact on Connecticut's past, and its narrative spans all periods of the state's history and touches every one of its eight counties and 169 towns.