Monsignor Slocum Division #1, Ancient Order of Hibernians

91 Golden Hill Street • Waterbury, CT • New Haven County

Historical Significance

Waterbury has drawn a steady stream of Irish immigration from its earliest history as a city. By the turn of the twentieth century six Ancient Order of Hibernians divisions met in Waterbury and the 1896 City Directory also listed two Ladies' Auxiliary Divisions.

When Monsignor William Slocum, Rector of the Immaculate Conception Church and benefactor for all Waterbury Catholic institutions died unexpectedly in 1907, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th divisions met and consolidated into the Monsignor Slocum Division. On March 14th 1909 the Ancient Order of Hibernians of the United States granted a formal Charter to the Monsignor Slocum Division Number 1 of Waterbury Connecticut.

Photo: View west showing south elevation and fa├žade. (Tod Bryant)

This reorganization occurred during the high tide of Hibernian membership in Connecticut. Today the Monsignor Slocum Division No. 1 of the Ancient Order of Hibernians continues to be a premier organization for Irish heritage and culture in Waterbury. In the 1960s the club, long housed in a series of halls in downtown Waterbury, purchased property on Golden Hill Street and built the present hall. Throughout its history the Waterbury AOH has been a force for philanthropy in the community and has supported theatrical productions, ball teams, St. Mary's Hospital (for which Monsignor Slocum was a moving force in establishing), Catholic high school, college and seminary scholarships, and services to veterans.

Sources

Emmett McSweeney, Vice President, Monsignor Slocum Division #1 AOH, 100th Anniversary Program Fall 2009

Notable Features of Building or Site

This is a concrete block building which has been face with brick on its facade. It consists of two blocks. On the south side of the the building is an end gable social hall facing east with a center entrance on its facade and a side entrance on its south elevation. A side gable bar and clubhouse wing extends north from the social hall and it has a central entrance with a window to its north.

Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings

The building sit on the southwest corner of a paved lot at the northwest end of Golden hill Street, one block east of the Sylvan Avenue. It is surrounded by a residential neighborhood of modest one and two story wood frame homes.


Additional Information

Date(s):  Built 1963
Style(s):  Vernacular
Historic Use:  Social club
Present Use:  Social club


Accessibility:
Exterior visible from public road.
Interior accessible (During business house and events).


Top ] [ Back ]