Irish Heritage Society of Milford

133 Bridgeport Avenue • Milford, CT • New Haven County

Historical Significance

The Irish Heritage Society of Milford had its beginning in March 2006, when Martin Hardiman and Christopher McEnerney, who had worked together on the Milford St. Patrick's Day Parade, discussed the possibility of forming an Irish Club in Milford. They placed a small article in the local newspaper announcing that a meeting would be held, inviting anyone interested, and over 80 people attended in response.

Photo: View southeast showing fa├žade. (Tod Bryant)

The organization's purpose is to bring about the association of individuals of Irish descent or relationship, in whole or in part, for the purpose of conducting educational and benevolent activities of all kinds, including meetings; conducting forums and research into Irish culture; providing funds for the study of Irish music, dance, and humanities; presentation of Irish culture to the community at large; and the pursuit of cultural advancement of the Irish through cooperative means with local communities and institutional organizations.

Membership meetings are held on the last Tuesday of each month, preceded by a social hour. Annual events have included a Ladies' Brunch, Irish Man and Woman of the Year awards, Tara Theatre productions, Family Picnic, an annual Irish Festival, Christmas Party, various children's activities, and Irish cultural programs. In 2014 the IHSM purchased this location, establishing its first permanent home and clubhouse less than ten years after its founding.

Sources

"Irish Heritage Society of Milford"
[ view source ]

Notable Features of Building or Site

This is a rectangular building that faces northwest onto Bridgeport Avenue. It has a wide green, board and batten band on the upper half of its facade. A row of four pilasters punctuate the lower half of the facade. there are two main entrance doors on each side of the center pilaster and a row of four fixed, twleve-light windows across the facade. There is a side entrance on the elvation and a rear entrance on the south elevation. The west elevation is blank.

Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings

This building is in a commercial section of Bridgeport Avenue, which is lined with similar small-scale commercial buildings. The areas to the north and south of this commercial strip are residential and most of the houses are two and one half story wood frame structures built between c. 1900 and c. 1940.


Additional Information

Date(s):  Built: c.1960
Style(s):  commercial
Historic Use:  tavern
Present Use:  clubhouse


Accessibility:
Exterior visible from public road.
Interior accessible (during events and at other times).


Top ] [ Back ]